Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Begin Again

Three cats in the window watching the day go by
As this rather long and interesting year rolls to a close I am determined to keep my artwork more current. To those who have messaged me with complaints - I assure you I am working on new pieces.
Out with the old has never been my style and many of you know that simple and uncluttered is not really in my vocabulary. A blank canvas does not stay blank long in my control. And, I subscribe to the belief that collections are meant to be added to and enjoyed and to do so, one must display them. No china packed away for years for fear of breakage for me.
This year has brought many new friends - especially "pen pals" - though I think the term is quite shallow to describe the friends I have through the mail. Each one has a special place in my life and the depth and richness has certainly made my life more enjoyable.
The "wee beasties" are tough lads and lassies. They have hung on for seven and half years and I have come to the realization that perhaps they are here to stay and so I might have to make peace with them. How one forms a meaningful bond with a spirochete is still beyond me but I have been known to be creative so I am working on it.
For this final week I wanted to share a quote which seems to sum up so much of how I feel this year - and of course expresses my continuing wonder if the mother ship is ever coming back to get me because surely I do not fit in
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
 from Robert Heinlein's "Time Enough for Love"

People Bones
Portia and I made these for a Christmas Party - gingerbread "bones" with pumpkin cream cheese topping. We did wonder why they were called "dog bones" and so we called these are "people bones".
May your new years fulfill your desires and dreams no matter how odd they may seem to the rest of your world.

1 comment:

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Yay! Let me be the first to post a comment and say how much I have enjoyed "meeting" you (via mail) and being in touch and sharing things and reading your posts. Happy New Year to all in your home. Looking forward to 2011 filled with postal exchanges.

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Random thought

My photo
Roeland Park, Kansas, United States
Life is short. We seek adventure where we can find it. If you would like to travel along - follow the crumbs we leave on the blog. Photographic Illustrations, bricolage art and Relic Hunting are our methods. If you don't have a good time - you aren't trying. "I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom; I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet