Monday, March 19, 2012

Nereid - water nymph


Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative.
H. G. Wells

 
I am not a Spring person. The air is heavy, laden with so many people's expectations that this year will be different than the last. It will not. It will rain, grass will grow, plants will sprout, the garden will be planted and tended and bugs will take up residence to continue their proliferation of the species. And the heat will descend upon us. The blast furnace, that I dread. I have always found it odd that so many humans like summer but fear Hell. Seems like closely related cousins to me. 
Ah well, Fall, Autumn, blessed cool weather is only six months away.


Shells have been speaking to me lately - so this is my first water nymph. She wears a helmet of gilded sand and has collected remnants of man from the bottom of the sea - she mounts them on the wall behind her throne. Her child, lies below her, not man, not nymph. She does not hear it wail. It does not sing a siren song to her. Her mother gave her wings of gold - they seemed like a gift at the time. But they are only ornamental. They are too heavy to actually fly. So she sits. Waiting for Odysseus her father to lift the curse of being tethered to the sea or for her mother Kalypso to free her from her love of men. Although, neither will happen in my lifetime (and probably not in hers) still she waits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Random thought

My photo
Roeland Park, Kansas, United States
Life is short. We seek adventure where we can find it. If you would like to travel along - follow the crumbs we leave on the blog. Photographic Illustrations, bricolage art and Relic Hunting are our methods. If you don't have a good time - you aren't trying. "I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom; I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet